Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Growing Up in Camp Hill: Part 1

For years, I've heard peers of mine rant about their hatred for this neighborhood. With the common claim being, "There's nothing to do," Camp Hill has been taking scrutiny ever since I can remember. Although bombarded by this propaganda, I have not fallen victim. My appreciation for this town is, and will always be, quite high. Having lived in the borough my whole life, I've seen the many different types of "non-believers," and come to believe there are two main aspects that make up their mindset: lack of creativity and stubbornness.

For those of you that don't know, Camp Hill is not sizable by any means; 2.1 square miles to be exact. Lacking many eateries, recreational facilities, attractions, and "places to chill;" it's easy to see why this small Pennsylvanian borough has become a scapegoat for many of its teens. Yet, with that said, there are also many unique things Camp Hill does possess. A state-of-the-art turf field and track, two top-notch pools, above-average homes and yards, and a small-town shop atmosphere with two decent malls compressing our borough are just a few of the things this town has to offer. Not for you? Try our creek or sizable woodland area at Siebert. And if that's still not good enough, many enhanced versions of these attractions are only a short commute outside our borders. If you have any creativity, that's more than enough to keep you occupied for years on end. What do you expect to have... the Las Vegas strip in your backyard? If you can't make use all the facilities mentioned above then you don't deserve to enjoy this place. Stop looking at things as how they're merely presented; learn to think outside the box. There are millions of things to do here, you just have to figure out what they are. Boredom's not encompassing Camp Hill, it's encompassing you. Now quit playing meaningless games on your smartphone and try to experience Camp Hill for what it really is: a blessing.

4 comments:

  1. Adam, I really appreciate that you wrote about this. Although I posted about what I won’t miss about CHHS, it was extremely difficult to come up with several complaints. As for the town itself, there’s nothing truly negative that I can criticize it for. We’ve all been extremely fortunate to have grown up here. Often I hear fellow students clamor about how they “can’t wait to get out of this bubble.” For those people, all I have to say is that you don’t know how great something is until it’s gone. Once they leave and go elsewhere, they’ll truly realize how much of a blessing this place is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about this town of Camp Hill. It was weird that you posted this blog because just this past weekend I was pondering this very same topic... My exact words? "I believe Camp Hill to be a hit or miss town. 75% it's a hit; you'll be able to have a grand time in this two-square-mile community while 25% it's a miss; there will be nights where your friends and you will run dry of options." Most of the time, I would like to say that I am a believer in this town just as you are but those dead nights where nothing is going on does suck. But like as time went on and we were able to get our licenses and drive cars, I think the boring nights started to dwindle. Again, Adam your blogs have always been favorites of mine to read and yet again here I am commenting on another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonesy, you hit the nail right on the head with this one. I couldn’t agree with this post more. From all the good things to the bad things, the legal things to the illegal things, Camp Hill offers plenty of space for fun activities. We have both grass fields and a beautiful turf field at our disposal where we can play soccer, football, ultimate frisbee, and other field sports. We have many buildings that are oh so fun to climb. We have the siebert and hoover woods for airsoft battles and other childhood games like ball-tag and manhunt. We have crotchety old men to ding-dong-ditch when the antagonistic juices start flowing. There is so much that this place has to offer it would take me at least ten pages to describe it all. It is as you say a sheer lack of creativity that keeps people from having things to do in this town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up Jones, I'm a huge fan of this post as it made me nostalgic towards all my great childhood memories in the quaint town of Camp Hill. There's really nothing we haven't been able to do here in the 18 years of my life. From sports, to exploring, to hanging out and roaming the town at any hour of the night (which many other towns in central PA can't say it's safe to do), we've been blessed and have had it all here in this 2.1 square mile town. When I think of all the great memories here since 1st grade, it makes me sad that we will all be leaving and going our separate paths in just a couple of months. Although I'm excited to start a new chapter in our lives, in the mean time, we should live up our remaining time and make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete