Friday, October 30, 2015

The Almighty Trinity

A few homerooms ago, I sat in the cafeteria and listened to Guy Tanguay inform our school's interested students about the upcoming swim season. As you may know, our swim team is run through Trinity High School since we lack the numbers and funding to run the program ourselves. Now, coach said many notable things throughout the seven minutes, but one thing in particular stuck with me. In order to swim this year, despite possessing most of the individuals who lead the team to grand success year after year, Camp Hill students are required to pay $230 to Trinity to compensate for the funding of the program. Now, I've heard of school's requiring their students to pay money to cover some of the costs for their athletic programs, but $230... might as well start my 401K with that amount of money. After running the numbers and seeing how over $15,000 will be given to Gary Bricker to fund this activity, thoughts of scandalous profit plague my mind. By charging their students a hefty tuition and receiving money from added donors, there is no way in hell this school needs an extra 15k to fund a swim team. This is just one of the many reasons why I hate Trinity High School.

Athletically, these guys are about as underachieving as Chelsea FC in the premiership this season. As it stands, the girls soccer and boys basketball team are their only athletic programs that deserve merit. Surpassed by us in essentially every other sport, Trinity makes itself hard not to laugh. With the ability to recruit student athletes and scheme their way to stay just under Class AA and AAA student population benchmarks, they should never lose. They can basically acquire any athlete they want and play against the easiest competition in playoffs, yet they still shit the bed in nearly all of their sports. This wannabe Bishop McDevitt even hired a nationally-renowned reality TV star as a coach to try to help their cause. Due to this and the many inane decisions of the "deity" Gary Bricker, we continuously defeat them season after season athletically.

A private institution composed of kids living in a strict Catholic environment must be stellar academically, right? Wrong. Despite having the ability to pull exquisite students in from all over the West Shore, year after year, Trinity High School continually falls short in keeping up their marks. With significantly lower SAT scores and a much larger student to teacher ratio, Trinity isn't exactly earning their gold stars in the classroom. Still, despite their lackluster academics, they try to mislead the public into thinking they're the school of Camp Hill, PA.

You'd think it couldn't get any worse than it already is, but unfortunately, it does. Not only are the students of Trinity underachieving, but the facilities are too! With crammed and out-of-date complexes, this school has given itself quite the reputation. Possessing malleable bleachers, a great view of the neighboring trailer park, faulty stadium lights, slanted and bumpy practice fields, and a horrific track, Trinity High School has resorted to consistently using our facilities to practice their sports. Remember... these guys require tuition that's supposed to pay for this type of stuff, but I guess that's being used to pay off past sexual harassment lawsuits or something. Oh, and for those non-athletes... it doesn't get much better. Why? Well, because they don't fucking have air-conditioning. How the hell do you not have air-conditioning, this isn't the 1940s anymore? I don't understand how this school can deem itself superior when they don't even have the decency or money (remember: they require tuition) to keep their students from constantly perspiring in class.

Now, through the entirety of this post you might be thinking, "Well at least the students themselves don't poorly represent the school." That's where you're wrong. The Shamrocks clearly have added to their "divine" school's reputation. For starter's, these guys are some of the most appalling students I have ever encountered. After playing against them several times throughout my high school soccer career, I am certain that sportsmanship is not something valued at their school. Persistently dropping the f-bomb, committing cheap fouls, and showing disrespect toward the officials, these students know  how to make themselves look bad. Not very good Catholics if you ask me. Having even gone to the lengths of intentionally trying to injure opposing teams' best players, it pisses me off just looking at these fools. This is nothing though. They received a hefty fine just this year, after urinating and defecating throughout an opposing team's locker room. Can you believe that? If that's not sinful, I don't know what is. Lastly, there's the famed pizza scandal. Years ago, at summer camp, the Trinity football team sexually harassed their underclassmen, forcing them to eat pizza that had some "unusual" toppings on it. Now, I've heard of high school hazing, but this is repulsively beyond any of those stories. It's difficult to comprehend how a team could sit back and let this go on. The real surprise about this though is how the perpetrators of this wickedness were expelled. With little to no variance from the rest of their peers, I found this act to be unfair. Oh, and the parents of these devils aren't off the hook either. On top of poorly raising these chimps, these people have been known to carry out these similar thoughtless actions. From personal experience, I've seen these grown adults repeatedly taunt opposing players from the stands only to later get in heated arguments with the opposing parents. The level of immaturity among them is unreal.

Now, as much as we like to think that Trinity High School is also unreal, unfortunately it isn't. All of central PA has to deal with their antics. And if you think I'm paying $230 to their sorry asses, then think again. In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, prepare yourself as Shuster and our boys lead the onslaught this Friday against the putrid humans that play for the Trinity football team. It's gonna get ugly.




12 comments:

  1. Adam, this made me laugh, especially after having had Madelyn swim on the team and getting to hear firsthand from Trinity students complaints about the lack of quality of the school. Additionally, I, too, have witnessed the utter lack of sportsmanship from this population of students. You'd think that at a school built on the foundations of Christianity, these kids would act as though they had some values, but that is far from the truth, at least in my experience. I played tennis this year and had the misfortune of playing their team towards the end of their season. Blatantly calling our in-balls out, and doing so with snarky attitudes, they won because they cheated their way through the match. Then, a week later, they admitted to cheating online, but by that point no action could be taken about it. Of course, this may not represent the entire student body, but it is representative of my experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, you are an amazing writer. It is easy to understand your writing, it’s so depictive, and full of energy. We all share a hatred for Trinity so I really appreciated this! It was hilarious, I even read it to my mother. I also had no idea they are facing fines for poor actions in an opposing team's locker room. Why would any human being with a brain think that’s justifiable or commit the act without thinking of consequences? That alone is baffling. I do not see their sportsmanship first hand on the field but I have had my fair share of nasty encounters. Take Friday’s football game. Although we may have been asking for trouble by hanging up a screen-printed sign saying “trinity is DUMB”, more than one person reacted by ripping it down, and one was an ADULT. It’s just crazy what people think they are entitled to do given the fact that they set themselves up as being held to a higher standard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back to back exceptional blog posts, Jonesy. These last two coincide too, in my opinion. Last one's was about our class of 2016 and how prestigious were really are and now this one, about our arch rival Trinity. These two coincide because of the huge turn of events these past couple years regarding our sports being compared. Past history lets everyone know that Trinity has been known for their athletics and we on the other hand haven't. But as our class came into the picture of high school sports, that has really changed... and apparently so has their budget. There has always been talk about the Shamrocks' budget declining but the fact that they're now charging swimmers to pay $230 to swim for them is purely sad. Again, this was another blog post that you implored me to read and again I am glad you did. My favorite part about this case is that our swimmers are the ones that bring home the gold for them. I'd love to make the argument of us having the medals we rack up each year and put them in our trophy cases rather than them possessing them but it really isn't THAT important to me for we really have little to say at this point due to our high performance as a class and school overall. Okay, enough boasting because I am not the type to boast nor was I taught that way. I will leave you with this, Adam: What A Time To Be A Lion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man oh man do I love this post. I have a few choice words for some of the stuck up fuckers that go to that school, and this post just reinforces my justification for mentioned words. But best of all, this post perfectly demonstrates how we as a school and community are better than Trinity in every sense. There is a camaraderie here amongst our student population that is unlike all others. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, but we accept one another and support one another in everything that is Camp Hill. You don't get that at Trinity. From horrible facilities, to the most vile hazing techniques ever used in the Midpenn, Trinity is the epitome of trash. Their academics are shitty, their sports are shitty, and many of their people are shitty. However, I must admit that I love when they try to cheat in sports because it never pays off. They are always left a minute late and a dime short in most endeavors they participate in with us. You are right, we have their number in most sports, but we need to beat them in basketball this year. That along with football is our most spectated sport here at Camp Hill, and I would love to see a statement made against Kostelac and his band of cretin recruits. I am proud as hell to be a Camp Hill Lion, and I will forever hate that godforsaken church and most of whom attend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jones, thank you. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for writing this blog. It’s about damn time someone explicitly let loose about Trinity. After playing four years against Trinity, I have LITTLE respect for them. Granted, I’ve grown up with a couple of them, and I’m happy to call them my friends. But as for the rest of them, they’re enemies. All I know is that I don’t pay tuition to go to a freaking high school that loses to public schools in athletics AND academics. This year, Trinity got their butts handed to them in soccer, football, and cross-country, and I’m glad to be a part of two of those three. I respect some of their cross-country team, but their soccer team is a bunch of cheap players, as you probably know. They’re out to hurt, not get the ball; they whine to the refs when they don’t get a soft call (especially their stuck-up coach); and they love to swear. They’ve said, “Oh, you f*cker,” or “I’m gonna f*cking kill you,” and many other things along that line. Not too Catholic. But, in the end, we beat them twice in soccer, crushed them in football, and finished higher than them at XC Mid-Penns. Sorry to hear about your massive fee for the swim team. That’s a load of bullshit. You have better things to do than to be affiliated with that school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam, this blog post was exceptional and it wrapped up the pure stinginess that is Trinity High School. To add to the fact that they hired an overly self esteemed, “assistant” basketball coach, who was on TV while he got extended leave from his full time job at BJ’s, as their soccer coach, I would just like to say that they started their season off 0-4. They had to offer a kid free tuition and god knows what else, just to quit his club soccer team and save the school soccer team. Going into the season, I was ambitious to how our games against them would end up. However, once I heard their head coach ask the referee, “You know who I am, right?” I lost the last lingering speck or respect that I had for that team. It was then that I was determined not to let them win against us for the rest of the season. A man that feels the need to state his presence before a soccer game is not a man worth any of my respect and personally should not even be that self centered as that is probably the reason that he got dumped on live television in front of all of America.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam, where do I even start? This post was phenomenal, really putting into words all the negatives of the school we have all come to despise over the years. I mean come on, we’ve all thought about our own distaste for Trinity, but thank you for taking the time to rant about how truly awful they really are in more areas than one. Although I haven’t had too much personal experience with Trinity students outside of soccer, I can say that’s all I really need to know how awful most of them are. However, I will have to say there are a handful of genuine kids I have played against and have become good acquaintances with. But outside of those few I have no desire what so ever to be around them. As you stated, it’s a catholic school, they should act like good kids right? Wrong, they have been just the opposite in all my encounters with them. Oh man, don’t even get me started on the parents, especially after our altercation with one parent at the football game this past Friday, I’d be ashamed to be one of their kids, it’s embarrassing. I’m just glad you took the time to really sum up the many reasons they are as despicable as we have made them out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adam, I feel like you captured many of our students’ views on Trinity. However, I believe that the pay wall is not the only reason that some students choose not to join the Trinity swim team. The rivalry between our schools due to our location and their previous dominance of sports has led to a mob mentality and enforced polarization between the two groups of students, especially in sporting events. Every year, I hear excellent swimmers such as Andy Snyder and Alex Diaz lamenting the fact that even though the swimming team is exceptional, many at Camp Hill simply associate them with Trinity as a school. The negative stigma against Trinity athletes is applied to our own students because the Trinity team is their only option. That being said, $230 is ridiculous and is reminiscent of the many new charges they are rumored to have enacted at the beginning of this current school year. It seems tuition just isn’t cutting it for Trinity any more, and they need to resort to alternate measure like these to continue “educating” their students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jones, I respect this post and understand your hatred for Trinity. While I completely agree that "trinity is dumb," I will say this; it is not the fault of the Trinity High School that us swimmers have to pay $230 dollars to swim. It is actually in fact the Camp Hill administration that cut the budget for the swimmers to a whopping 0 dollars and 0 cents. I hate to say it, but thanks to our own district, we now have to single handedly pay for our pool time, buses, etc. I find this absolutely ridiculous. Since the co-op of Trinity and Camp Hill, we have produced four Divisional Titles, 3 District Titles, and a State Runner-Up trophy. I realize we have a phenomenal athletic program, but how many CH teams can compare to that? That's right; none. So the football team can have 3 different sets of jerseys, one of which carry zero Camp Hill colors, and we can't even give a penny to the best swim team in the district, let alone the state.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adam, I have no idea where to even begin other than just thanking you for formally putting down our thoughts onto paper. Without going into names and or specifics, I do believe you managed to cover every single topic about THS that I despise.
    Firstly, Bricker is an idiot. He has had a personal vendetta against Camp Hill for unknown reasons which were ignited further after those freshman brought pizza boxes to the football game last year. I have never actually seen a person who is suppose to have “authority” over me cry until that moment. As far as his need for money from the Camp Hill athletes he’s looking to recruit, I don’t know enough information about it to say anything other than “trinity” is dumb.
    Second, the students at this school are the reason I hate trinity with such a passion. I used to play lacrosse with a kid who now plays lacrosse for trinity. To give you an idea of how much of a douche he was, he actually hit me (keep in mind I was on his team) for scoring a goal instead of passing it to him. Also, another kid who many people know (he transferred from Camp Hill to Trinity) played basketball academically ineligible throughout his entire career. I mean his grades were actually so bad that he did not qualify to play on a division one sports team (and he definitely had the ability to do so.)
    I think we can all agree, trinity is “the dumb school.”

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex, in the Football team's defense, the jerseys weren't paid for by the district, but by people within our community. I think it is pretty ridiculous that you and Adam have to pay your own way to be a part of the swim team, even if you're swimming for Trinity. I think you should at least get some funding, so our students don't have to pay that overwhelming price. To counter your claim of superiority over every other Camp Hill sport, the swim team isn't a Camp Hill sport. It's a merger. If other Camp Hill sports merged with other schools, I'd imagine they'd be a lot more successful too. But in the end of the day, those titles don't go on banners in our gymnasium, nor do the trophies go in our trophy case.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adam, let me just say that if I had a dollar for every time I passionately nodded my head while reading this post, I would probably have all the funds I'd need to take my education and throw it directly in the toilet by paying for a year at "trinity high school." You’re absolutely right on every account here, and I fully concur that "trinity” is despicable in just about every possible way. They have a deplorable student body and more or less piss poor academics for the type of school they masquerade as, since they’re consistently blown out of the water in every category by not only our top public school, but also other public schools in the area. And you’re right, if they are able to recruit their athletes and are much larger than we are anyway, then why are we able to beat them at so many sports? They claim to instill “good Catholic values” in their students, but I can say that without exaggeration, nearly every single “Trinity” student I’ve ever come in contact with has been slimy, rude, and more or less just downright disgusting overall. Everyone has their own anecdotal evidence of this, and just for example, Carolyn, it was so disheartening to watch you get cheated out of that match by their girls’ doubles tennis team like you did. After that match, since I (and every other spectator watching) saw that girl openly and consistently cheating her line calls for the second match in a row, she said to me, “people [sic] think I cheat? Honey you need glasses. Your eyesight probably hasn't developed yet cause [sic] you look like you're 11,” before making fun of my other friend for losing her tennis match on the same day. She then admitted to the cheating a few hours later when she knew that the results of the match couldn’t be changed. It takes a special kind of scumbag to pull something like that at a high school sporting event. It takes a “trinity” scumbag. But I guess that’s just another example of those “trinity”-instilled “Catholic values” they advertise at work. These people think that just because they pay a dubious church-related organization for their schooling, then they are “above” us somehow, when in reality, it is the other way around across the board. If I had to guess where the main root of their nastiness is, I would say it is this “holier-than thou, we pay for our school” complex coupled with a secret jealousy and desire to attend an overwhelmingly superior public school like Camp Hill. If there’s a bright side to the existence of “trinity,” however, besides keeping many of those putrid kids away from the regular population, it’s that we can all feel so much better about our school after looking at theirs in comparison. I’m always proud to be a Camp Hill student, but I’m most grateful for this after looking at the utter failure of an institution that is “trinity high school.”

    ReplyDelete